Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day Two

Last night was my first night of my challenge and I think it started off on the right foot. If you have never heard of Bikram, it is a style of yoga that consists of 26 poses and 2 breathing exercises. It is practiced in a room that is 105 degrees, 50 percent humidity and lasts for 90 minutes. In other words, it is fucking intense! I have been once before and liked the way I felt afterward but did not really enjoy the class all that much. The first time I went I started doubting whether I could stay in the room about 30 minutes into the class. Now I realize it was the instructor. Last night the instructor was so good and fast, you really didn't have time to think about how it was hot as balls in there. She kept referring to the class as a 90 minute meditation session. Now when I think of meditation, I think about sitting with your legs crossed in unnatural ways, not moving, and actively trying to slow your mind. I kept thinking last night, this is not my idea of meditation. But at the end of the class, I realized I had focused for a pure 90 minutes on nothing outside that room. I was pretty proud of myself.

I have a real problem with checking other people out. Not in a "I am curious about the human form" way but in a "I wish my thighs looked like that" way. It isn't healthy. I  did it last night in the beginning of the class but the class was so intense I didn't have energy to put into silly stuff like that. I also realized that I was right behind a pretty big woman who had the poses down really well. She was standing next to a really flexible, skinny woman who didn't know the poses. I focused on trying to mimic the fat chick.

After the class I felt great. I don't know if I felt more relaxed but I definitely felt energetic and refreshed. This morning I was exhausted but that is nothing new. However, I could tell I did something yesterday. I am not sore in the traditional sense where it hurts, I am sore in a way where I am just noticing my muscles. My posture also feels great today but I am wondering if that is just in my head. All in all, I think it was a great first day.

I am debating whether or not I want to keep track of my weight this month. I would like to lose weight, but I also don't want this to really be about the weight so much. I also have experienced before when my body changes and my weight stays the same. Maybe I will take measurements or something. We will see. I am going to the later class tonight so hopefully it will not mess with my sleep schedule. I am not sure why I am scared but I am. After having announced to family and friends I am doing this, it creates more pressure to actually do it. I'm not sure how great of an idea that was. I already put enough pressure on myself. But we will see and I will keep you posted on my progress!

1 comment:

  1. Val - this is awesome! You are in for a real spiritual journey, as well as a physical one. Can't wait to read more...

    ReplyDelete